Friday, May 21, 2010

Ovariohysterectomy

Paige got spayed yesterday. Poor thing. She is offially unhappy about it. Even more unhappy that I won't let her lick the incision and that she gets to wear a cone when I'm not watching her.


I dropped her off at the vet's in the morning yesterday. She was so excited. She got to go for a car ride first thing in the morning and she saw that I had all my stuff for the day with me. So she was happy to go into the vets. She knew it as a place where she got a lot of pets and treats. So she was grinning ear to ear, tail going as the vet tech led her into the back. I felt mildly violated as she led my puppy away. I've gotten used to the idea that Paige is going to be with me all the time as a service dog. It breaks my heart to have to leave her at home right now. But somebody else taking her away really felt... I don't know how to explain it. They may as well have been stealing my purse. I knew that the feeling was all in my head and that they were going to take excellent care of her but I still felt like a little bit of me was going stolen.


I didn't get to go and pick Paige up because I had to work. Nick did it for me so I can't provide an accurate description of what happened. From what I gather from him: Paige wanted to get as far away from that place as quickly as she could. She was at the end of her leash, headed for the door. She had some trouble getting into and out of the back seat of the car (we have the seats laid down so it's really a flat surface that includes the trunk as well - it's a hatchback. The frame of the door and such act as steps for her to get in so she never has to do anything too athletic). At home, they got part way up the stairs out of the parkade prior to either of them realizing that stairs weren't such a good idea. But they made it up. He got Paiged settled and tried to let her sleep.

When I got home:


Mom: I hurt and they made me look funny.


It's even more embarrassing outside.


There, that's better. Let's go for a short walk and a bathroom break.


Look what they did to me.

Sunday update:
Paige is healing up great. Still itchy and has to wear her cone when she's not supervised but she has her spunk back. Another week and a half and we'll go back to that offal place to get the stitches out.

1 comment:

wcteams said...

Poor darling! I can tell you love her lots by your pics and comments. Her owie's will heal very quickly i'm sure with all your love and attention.
Hugs
Leanne and Rosie