Friday, April 8, 2011

Visit from Asker

I know, I know. I didn't write yesterday. I was so tired, not that we really did anything. We slept in, probably way later than we should. We putzed  around the house. Didn't really get anything done. We worked in the evening. Just a waste of a day.

Now I'm at work again. The evening shift isn't so bad as the afternoon. At least I'm not spending my sunshine hours trapped inside. Since I'm at work, I figured it was a good time to get on the computer and do my update. There isn't ever anything interesting that happens around here any way.

My new buddy, Asker, came over for a little bit. My cat, Marissa, is too brave around her. One day she's going to get to close to that dog before Mom and her mom get her settled and my kitty is going to get hurt. Mom says Asker did good today around the cats compared to last time but there was still one point where I had to chase my cat away from harm and then help Asker get calmed down again. Hopefully soon we'll be able to play indoors when Asker comes over but not yet. While Asker was over, I had to make Mom pay attention to me (she's always so taken with the idea of training a new person and a new dog) so I practiced sitting right in her lap. Curled up and stayed there so she had to pay attention to me and tell me how pretty and good I was. But a dog can only stayed curled up like that for so long before it becomes uncomfortable. Eventually I moved and curled up against her instead. Before Asker left, we went for a group walk. Of course all the Moms could talk about was service dogs, service dog behaviour, service dog tasks, and on and on and on. Silly people. Mom showed how I do a lead and a follow (I'm still working on the follow but my lead is getting pretty good if I say so myself). She also advised about what might be the most useful commands for Asker to know. Eg. Leave it, heel, wait, go through, back, forward, focus/watch, quiet (surprising important - especially since Asker tends to complain out loud), get busy. Once we walked Asker back to her van, the Mom's talked forever. I know my Mom wants Asker's mom to be able to handle the transition from pet to service dog well but did they have to talk for so long? Mom mentioned some of the things that we dogs will need to do to pass our public access tests. Why does everybody make such a big deal out of taking the bus? It's boring but not hard. Mom also revealed her master plan for us to go swimming. Except I don't think the dogs get to go swimming, just the people. I think we have to do something boring while, once again, the humans get to go and have fun. We'll see. Maybe we can change their minds. But Mom said we are going to do it as a group.

Mom is attempting to get me all brushed out again. Since it's taking her at least 30 minutes to get through the matts in my elbow she doesn't finish brushing me before it's time to start at the beginning again. But with me starting to blow my coat she's trying so hard to keep at it every day. But it sucks. De-matting hurts! No matter how much leave in conditioner Mom uses. It hurts. Here's hoping that as the weather dries up and my coat gets shed, that she won't need to brush me quite as much.

Mom started a facebook group for our local dogs. Search Service Dogs Edmonton. No matter what disability you have, what breed of dog you use, or what program you're with, Mom says you should join.

Ok. I think that's all I got.
Woofs and tail wags
Paige

No comments: