Monday, April 26, 2010

Page's very busy weekend

(Guess what: Another post from work.)

Page's first weekend with us was super eventful for her. But she handled most of it great.

Friday night Page and I just stayed home. I had to work during the day on Friday and my plans for the evening fell through. My friend had big, scary exams this week that she needed to prep for so I didn't take Page over there as planned. Nick went out with one of his friends but didn't stay out too long. He came home having a lot of trouble breathing. He had a reaction to the fog machine that was at the event.

Saturday:
We helped a friend move during the day. She broke up with her boyfriend and it was a very emotional event for her. Every time Page saw her, she went right up to her and was full of kisses, hugs and tail wags. I had Page with me upstairs while I was packing the last of her clothing and such. I put Page in a down-stay out of the way and she stayed there. She even stayed there when I went downstairs to find another box. I was amazed, thrilled, and so proud of her. When we got to the house that we were unloading at, the resident dog decided that he didn't want to be polite. He is known to not have the best dog manners. So he got tied up in the kitchen and I kept Page with me on a waist leash. (Everybody: get one of these) She followed me up and down the stairs so many times. And she never pushed or pulled or anything. Again, so proud. After a little bit, the resident dog started to whine so that he could help too. He saw Page having such a good time following me around. So they let him off and he was well behaved.

We headed home to change. We had a party to go to in the evening. We got home and Page passed right out. She was done. And 45 minutes later, we packed her back into the car for the evening.

We went to the party really early. I wanted to give Page a chance to adjust to the house prior to the people showing up. Plus, our friend is always stressed when he throws a party and needs help with the preparations just to feel calmer. Page was an angle for most of the evening. She's still new so most is a great answer. Again, she was on waist lead all evening. I didn't know how she would respond so I wanted to keep her with me. I think that this helped our bonding hugely. After that evening, she will sit quickly the first time I ask. Admittedly, we did practice it a lot. Everybody wanted to meet Page. She is too pretty for her own good. But she had me talking to complete strangers. Most of the topics were Page, dogs in general, or service dogs. But I was introducing myself to people and wasn't right beside Nick the whole evening. The size of this accomplishment is still just dawning on me.

Sunday:
I broke again. Even when I wasn't crying, there were tears leaking out. And Page did the sweetest thing, once Nick convinced me to go to her: She snuggled up to me and then rolled all the way onto her back. That's the only time she's done that. Then she just sat with me until I had it together enough to get moving again. And when we went to the living room, she pounced on her puppy. She didn't bring it to me but it was an obvious "let's play". So we played fetch. She was so cutely surprised the first time she bit the right end of puppy and made him squeak. Lol. Do you want to know something interesting: She won't play fetch with Nick yet. She'll get excited when he squeaks puppy and she'll chase it when he throws it but she won't bring it back to him. She's so cute.

I took her over to Nick's parents yesterday for supper. I think it went well. She stayed right where I put her while we were eating supper. Yeah, Page!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's wonderful that people are so accepting of Page. Sounds like they let you bring her into their homes and welcome her. That's rare!
I'm glad you got some 'fuzz therapy'. It's the best!