Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Turkey Day

Not the gobble, gobble kind.

Paige has accompanied me to my psych appointment for the last 2 weeks now, last Tuesday and today. (Oh yeah, I finally found a councilor and for free too.) I'm trying to take her with me where I can. She's doing well for laying for the hour but I have to teach her a "head" command. Lay down, put your head down, you're going to be there for a while. Otherwise, she keeps looking at me like she's bored and fidgeting. She needs to learn that the hardest job a SD has is the 8 hour down-stay.

Paige hasn't been feeling good for the last few days. She ate a lot of hotdogs and cheddar cheese on Saturday when we were doing a public awareness event for PSDs. And it didn't agree. But today she is feeling good. Really good. And she's really happy that she's feeling better. And she has lots of energy! She was smelling everything and watching everything and walking ahead of me (leash still loose). When I had her in a down, she was fidgeting and huffing at me and giving me the "I'm bored" look. So instead of getting going again, after our appointment, I went and got a glass of tea and sat in the cafeteria. More waiting. I usually hate sitting in cafeterias and such unless I can get my back against a wall. But today I felt safe with my back open. Paige was sitting in such a position that she was looking behind me. I knew that she would respond if somebody was going to come up behind me. Good dog.

Hopefully not everyday will be a turkey day. It was super exhausting.

Already I'm getting sick of hearing "look, it's a dog", "isn't she cute", "why would she have a dog". All of these are whispered as we walk by.

No comments: