Saturday, July 10, 2010

Lost

Hi everybody,

I haven't posted in so long. I'm sorry. I used to post so regularly. Now I just can't seem to do it. I have no energy left. Between school, work, and Paige, I'm done. I couldn't imagine having a full time job. I'm not walking Paige like I was. No more long hikes. I just don't have the energy or drive. I'm not doing homework like I was. No motivation. I've missed quite a few classes lately. Happily, I have classmates that are willing to just hand over their notes for photocopying, no questions asked. And I'm getting frustrated with training. Training is a long process. I know that. But I feel like my weak energy is killing the training processes. I'm only doing it half heartedly and because I have to and I think Paige knows it. The most recent: she has forgotten what sit means. She is so wonderful. She follows me everywhere. Last weekend we took her camping up at my parents' cabin. I don't know if she's ever done that before. Earlier this week, I took her to the bookstore to buy the text for my philosophy class. She did great. But I don't know if it was service dog standard. We have a basics class that is going to start later this month. I'm using it more like a learn-to-work-under-distraction class. Why is this so hard? Paige is so smart. I've dealt with dogs before. Why isn't this coming together better?

2 comments:

Oleander said...

Don't even worry. In the scheme of Paige's life, she's just starting to learn all this stuff, all the best service dogs have probably been doing it for a very long time, right? I think you are doing great!

I'm thinking of doing a beginner class with Olive for the same reasons. Also because she doesn't listen to other people besides me. But i'm pretty picky with trainers.

Anonymous said...

hi Melanie

Don't be sorry for not posting much, we all have our better and worse times.
I am Anita and on the SDID-PSDS list too and saw your post about blogs. I don't post there very often as I am from the Netherlands and our laws are very different. Owner trained dogs are not recognised as service dogs, but anyhow my 2 Chow Chows do a lot for me.

Anita
+ Chimay & Eoos