Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Those Darn Rabbits Are Just So Exciting

We go for a walk every evening before bed. And good thing too since we live in an apartment. For the last couple of nights, there have been rabbits sitting in the parking lot of the funeral home. Our route takes us right past them if they’re there. Since it’s late at night, Mom is working with me on my self control so I don’t bark at them. Mom says it’s not polite to wake up the neighbourhood.

The method that we’ve found that seems to work for me is to move slowly. Mom lets me stop and look at the rabbit. She touches my collar and talks calmly to me as a reminder. If I start to get too excited and start to talk she turns me so I can’t see the bunny past her. Once I’ve calmed down some I get to look again. We make our way past the bunny very slowly. A couple steps at a time. Once I get past a certain point, I can easily walk away. Not calmly but I can do it quietly.

It’s a good thing the rabbits in my neighbourhood are so smart. They sit there like rocks. I would not be up to this exercise if they were running away. That’s way too exciting.

No comments: