Monday, June 28, 2010

Paige takes the bus


Yesterday was the Pets in the Park fundraiser that I had mentioned previously. There were 2 options for getting there. You could drive and park or you could do a park and ride. We chose the park and ride because it gave us the exposure opportunities for Paige to public transit. So I "assisted" her in getting under the front seat, where she will be riding when we take regular transit. (Assisted looked a little more like getting her to lie in almost the right position and then pushing her just a little bit so she was actually under my seat.) We had so much fun at the park. There was the fundraising walk, 2.5 km pack walk. I think it was a great introduction for Paige to the park environment. Then there were frisbee demonstrations. Paige cried at them so we're going to get her one. There was also a sheep herding demonstration. I thought Paige's head might have popped with how badly she wanted to chase them. There were hundreds of dogs. Paige smelled so many noses as we walked through the crowd. And kiddie pools that were being used as walk-in water dishes. It was so warm out that it wasn't uncommon to see a dog lying in one of these pools. It was a good day and ended with a second bus ride. Paige did great. I was so proud of her.

Last night was Nick's Aunts birthday. A big family gathering. I chose to leave Paige at home because she had a long day and I'm not quite sure how to tell relatives (either my own or my in-law variety) that Paige is a PSD and what that means for me, and for them by extension. In some ways I wished that I hadn't left Paige at home. After the busy morning, I was feeling overwhelmed and mildly discossiated. I worked really hard at playing normal and even managed to hold a few conversations. Mostly I sat around and listened and smiled at appropriate times. I even missed my name being called a couple of times. People looked at me a little bit oddly when they were saying hi and I wasn't responding. Maybe I should teach Paige to alert me if my name is called and I don't respond.

I slept until noon today to make up for the busy day and the heat.

I wish I could limit the big events in a day to one, but life has a tendency to pile up.

No comments: