Friday, August 13, 2010

Paige update

Paige's training marches forward, except now we're having to go back and do stuff that was kind of solid before. For example, I'm on a med now that makes me sleepy and sleep really hard, and she's not doing her wake ups at all. With the lower bed, she's just sticking her head onto the bed (if she's doing that much) which isn't enough to wake me up. I wrecked her signal for "down." I used to just point at the floor but then I started pointing at stuff that I wanted her to paw target. So now I'm building a new signal to mean "down".

On the other hand, we have lots of new stuff. She will "give me 5". She turns in circles. This was hard to teach. I tried for a long time and then had to get creative. Puppy (a stuffed toy) sometimes is sometimes the best answer to problems. I got her all excited and when she spun in a circle, I clicked. The click means "I just did something and have to figure out what it is". It only took a couple more tries to get it figured out.

She also is getting very good at "take it" - to hold an object in her mouth until I ask for it. She's even starting to take a step with it in her mouth. Ulitmately, the task will be "find it" + "bring it" + "give it". A couple of days ago I asked her to pick up her leash. The first time she looked at me like I was retarted. "We don't put our mouths on that mom." Now she's doing it but she's still very hesitant with it.

She's getting good with the lamp. She's even starting to put her paws up on the dresser to reach it. And she gets really excited about that one. Now I just need to figure out how to build it into a wake up chain. Alarm goes off, she turns on the lamp, and then she jumps on me. That's what I want.

2 comments:

Oleander said...

You are a busy lady.

Michaela said...

Awesome article.. I'd love to add your blog link to my new website I"m creating.. http://www.assistancedogstoday.com

Please contact me at michaela@assistancedogstoday.com

I'm bi-polar also, and contemplating getting a dog to train for my issues. Thanks for doing this!